Friday, July 01, 2011

A Wish is a Dream Your Heart Makes

Blah, blah, blah. It's all about me and my needs.

Me.

Me.

Me.

Which is my ham-fisted way of saying I need your help. I'm eager to have voices we don't always hear from  in the homeschooling community in the new book. I've spoken to so many fascinating people and believe me, even if homeschooling is nowhere in your life or on your radar, I think these stories are going to captivate you. You know that one where you're sitting in a coffee shop waiting for a friend and you start eavesdropping on the next table because other people's problems are just so oddly compelling? And then your friend arrives and you're pleased to see her but also a tiny bit sad because the story was just getting to the part where lawyers got involved?

They're like that.

But there are certain homeschoolers I haven't been able to reach and they deserve to be heard in their own words; I'm hoping you're either these people or know these people:

A single parent
An LDS family
A Native American family who homeschools for cultural reasons
A family who homeschools so they can travel
An active military family
A Muslim family
A family who homeschools because a child was being bullied

If you're one of these, please leave me a comment. I won't put it up if you ask for privacy but will just reach out directly. If you're not one of the five but still feel chatty, please don't hesitate to write. If I do this right, the book should be bristling with interesting people and you could very well be one of them.

Next time I write, there will be no more ranting about American-made goods or American-educated children. I'll tell you about the rabbit!

Yeah, he's still here. Are any of us surprised?

12 Comments:

Blogger Antique Mommy said...

I am anxious to read your book on homeschooling and see what conclusions you come to. While we have not chosen to homeschool thus far, it is always on our radar and always something we are thinking about, not so much for social or religious reasons but for academic. The schools, public and private (we've looked strongly at both) don't seem interested in taking your kid where they are and moving them forward. They teach from point A to B in 1st grade and if your kid enters 1st grade on the line of B, then too bad, they are not going to help him move to point C even though they have him for 7 hours a day, so I do it myself.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hi, I'm LDS and I homeschool our 4 kiddos. Happy to chat...

10:31 AM  
Blogger Ale said...

Hi there,
I got your book like 2 years ago, recommended by a Borders guy at the airport in PHX. I loved it. Then I found your blog, I like to read you. Anyway, this blog I am posting here is about a guy and his life and his family and how they live AND he talks about homeschooling and he mentions other people with other blogs that are homeschooling their kids for many of the reasons you are mentioning here, so here you have, I hope it helps:
http://manvsdebt.com/

11:58 AM  
Blogger Nancy in PA said...

Not surprised here, as you come across clearly in all forums as kind and soft-hearted toward furry critters. :-) Or at least, critters that are larger than mice. LOL

PS - I have been bottle feeding kittens at the rescue this week. Please say a prayer for my self-restraint. LOL As I am sure you know, they are SO easy to get attached to...

12:11 PM  
Blogger Tammi Klusewitz said...

Hi Quinn,
The Other Half is employed by Dept of Defense. I have 6 kids ranging in age from 25 - 10. No two have been born in the same city. Only two have been born in the same state. And no more than three born on the same continent. We're not quite military but, yeah, we've traveled! I'm happy to chat is you want to hear more.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I used to think only the most organized, dedicated, patient, brilliant mothers could homeschool. But here I am, eight years of homeschoooling (and six children) under my belt later, and I have no regrets. No, we aren't perfect. Yes, we make mistakes. But as a mother, I love having my children home with me so *I* can be the main influence over their spiritual, secular, cultural and social education. It's worked so far. I have much more to say if you want to hear.

Oh, and we are LDS.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anne and Tammy, if you're reading this, I can't find an email address for you on your websites. Please reach out to me at quinn@quinncummings.com

12:32 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Congratulations on your book! I am a single parent homeschooling my child. However, I don't live in America, so I'm probably no use to you! :-)

Your blog is so interesting :-)

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

You might try connecting with Diane from the blog tomatosoupcake. She's a single mom who homeschools her children and she's wonderfully friendly, even to lurkers like me who only comment once in a blue moon. No need to post my comment though!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a military child but I was not homeschooled. My mother thought about doing so but I am so glad that she did not since as an only child going to school gave me the ability to socialize where otherwise I would not have had many opportunities to make friends. Bouncing around from place to place was hard and trying to make new friends quickly was always a challenge as well (a skill I now appreciate). Honestly, I think without the aid of the socialization that was encouraged in the school setting I doubt I would be as well adjusted as I am. I also noticed a distinct difference between the education and academic environment that was available on the military instillations vs. public school. I made the switch at the age of 8 and while I appreciate the education I received I think it would have been a distinctly better one had I been able to continue with the institutions available through the military.

3:55 PM  
Blogger whizzboom said...

Quinn, are you familiar with a singer/songwriter named Kristin Hersh? She founded thr band Throwing Muses when she was 14... Anyway, she's always homeschooled her kids and I thought it was worth mentioning. She published a memoir called Rat Girl last year about her (rather unusual) adolescent trials.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home