Monday, March 21, 2011

You're Livin' In the Past It's a New Generation

Daughter wandered up to me a few minutes ago.

"Today," she noted, "you were either organizing tax paperwork, or writing a questionnaire or talking to the phone company."

"Also filling out your camp forms and spending a half-hour finding your vaccination records," I said, yawning, "but in a few minutes I'll be done and then I'll relax, just fold a little laundry and watch that documentary I've been dying to see about Enron."

I glanced at her and saw the look she had on her face before she could compose it into something more politic. The look which said How many glasses of milk do I have to avoid to never actually become an adult?

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy in PA said...

LOL I just finished reading the camp chapter in your book, so this post gave me an extra chuckle (no "Camp Casa" this year either, huh? LOL). My daughter feels like this about adulthood sometimes, too - especially with college applications looming! The first taste of serious life responsibility? (PS Just shared your dd's punchline with my dd, and she sends her a virtual high five. LOL)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Nancy in PA said...

(Well, ok, upon second reading, that was actually YOUR interpretation of her punchline. So I guess she sends YOU the high five. LOL)

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Whitney said...

Maybe homeschooling is good. Your child get to see what you do all day. My kids think I eat chocolate and watch tv all day.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the look that says a million things, none of which are even close to complimentary in Teenage Daughter's opinion. Does she comment on your taste in music as well? Apparently at our house, anything I find enjoyable to listen to is a threat to the integrity of her auditory health. The faces, the grimacing, the look of actual pain when a song from the 70s come on. It has actually become entertaining.

1:48 PM  
Blogger thelittlefluffycat said...

I take a certain amount of quiet pride in 13 & 18 both asking me to put on headphones to listen to my music, which is too indie/foreign for them.

I KNEW I shouldn't have drunk all that milk.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home