Thursday, April 22, 2010

Every Single Night I'm Staring in Her Window

This morning, Consort read me a little blip from the newspaper (I know, but someone had to be the last person reading the Los Angeles Times) about a problem with Windows. Seems the McAfee program had updated their virus protector, only it mistakenly identified a regular file as a virus, causing what I imagined was a autoimmune disorder for computers. The problem was noted when Windows computers kept crashing and having to be rebooted.

"And how, exactly," I said, sipping my tea, "is that different from any other Thursday?"

We chuckled a bit over that. And then we snickered over the idea the idea of everyone in Redmond, Washington running around in paper hats, throwing confetti, shrieking in childish glee, "Today it's not us! Today, it's MCAFEE!!!!!!" Finally, we decided Windows new slogan should be Windows: Shut Up or We'll Really Give You Something to Cry About.

Our hilarity subsided. One of us soberly to the other, "We're really very geeky, you know."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Lynn YouKnowWho said...

Ha! This may be your best blog yet! Or maybe not. But maybe. I'm not sure.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Lori said...

You laugh, but I'm afraid to call my father, because I recently recommended he try McAfee on his computer running Windows XP...

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mental Picture - Haggard woman in early 40s, wearing the same clothes for three days, her roots showing and she is contemplating taking up smoking after her work computer (otherwise known as the cash machine) crashed Sunday night only to take until yesterday to be resurrected through the efforts of a $150 software upgrade and a very nice brother in law whom she now owe many many oatmeal raisin cookies.

All the way home from Staples, after buying the necessary Microsoft Word 2007, I muttered under my breath, "Bill Gates, did you REALLY need MY $150?????"

11:54 AM  
Blogger Dawn Maria said...

Stories like this make me love my MacBook even more. Gotta go kiss it right now!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Char said...

i had a good giggle over this. programmer's pointing at each other.

on the other hand, it makes me glad i don't have mcafee

7:16 PM  
Blogger kate sweeten said...

Ha! That little "autoimmune" issue crashed every computer in the hospital that I work in the other day...it was utter chaos around here. I, however, wasn't quite as concerned with the lack of access to patient information as I was the lack of internet access. I CAN'T UPDATE MY FACEBOOK STATUS?!? *gasp* WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH MY AFTERNOON?!?

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lace said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home