Friday, December 08, 2006

Man can live by (Pumpkin) bread alone.

(I originally posted this almost exactly a year ago. I stand by everything I said)


If anyone hasn't completely depleted their baking urge, I humbly offer the following recipe for pumpkin bread. It's darn tasty and very easy to make, but that isn't its most winning quality.

This recipe has forgiven me every time I have fooled with it.

I removed the corn syrup and replaced it with applesauce, and it got better.

I had half a cup of mixed dried fruit in a bag, and was desperate to get rid of it, so I doubled the amount of dried fruit in the original recipe, and it got better.

I have used every form of dried fruit known to the civilized world, and it took it all and gave me back tasty pumpkin bread.I have baked it in all shapes and forms with no ill-effects.

I imagine that if you have someone who cannot eat nuts, you could eliminate those with no flavor-based consequences.

You forget to put it in the fridge? Ha! It's better if it sits, tightly sealed, at room temperature!

I have waited my entire life for something to be so understanding about my cooking limitations.

THE PLASTIC PUMPKIN BREAD

2/3 cup oil2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 cup solid-pack pumpkin

1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 T. Vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for preparing pan

1 t. baking soda2 1/2 t. cinnamon1/2 allspice1 t. salt

1 c. chopped walnuts

1/2 cup dried currants (or cranberries, raisins, or combination)

1/2 cup dried fruit of choice (a bit of dried ginger works well)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Blend oil, eggs and sugar with electric mixer until thick, about one minute. Add pumpkin, applesauce, and vanilla and mix well.Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, salt, walnuts and fruit in medium bowl. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.Pour into buttered and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (Note: I've done it in muffin tins, mini-muffin tins, and Pyrex tart plates. As long as you keep an eye on it for doneness, it works) until dark brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about an hour and ten minutes.Cool in pan five minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely.NOTE; Seal it up and let it sit at room temperature for at least a day for optimal flavor.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have used this "forgiving" recipe about 2 weeks ago! Let me know if you have a forgiving anana bread recipe as well since that is a favorite of my husbands and we've tried about a dozen recipes that seem to all fall short. :-(

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I've added you to my favorites and I'll be peeking my head in to see what is going on over here. I really appreciate the pick-me-up!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Quinn,

I found the link to your blog through another website. I have to be honest and tell you that you were my first crush. I remember watching you on "Family," and falling in love. :) Glad to see that you are well and thriving. Thank you for being a part of my childhood.

Best,
Todd in LA

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home