Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I ask, I answer.

Thank you! Even if I used all my fonts and colors and the italics, it wouldn't express how much the book-signing emails have meant to me. And for those of you who live in Los Angeles, I am excited to say that I'll be at Vroman's bookstore on July 11th at 4:00-

http://www.vromansbookstore.com/

(To Laura, who said her gays friends in LA would come to see me, send them there. And did I know I was a gay icon? I'm no Judy or Kylie Minogue, but I'm very happy I make certain gay men happy. I don't know if it's because I grew up in a gay neighborhood, or because I favor Liza Minnelli in the wrong light or because I remind every single gay man I know of the arty girl he hung out with in college, but there's no denying the love.)

Now, on to the other news. For the moment, I'm going nowhere. As I said before, it's 2009 and everyone is keeping their expectations and their budgets very realistic. I really hadn't meant to work everyone up into a lather, and I'm sorry for that. It's just that I might be in the Baltimore area at some point early in the summer, and my brain went, "Well, as long as I'm there, maybe I could do a book thing and, hey! Find out if there's an audience! In fact, find out if anyone wants you around, smiling at them nervously and reading from her book!'

And you did. And that was just about the nicest thing I read all day. And if I can figure out some loopy, creative and cheap way to be someplace without being there, I'll do it. Which is my way of saying thank you again. Now, back to our regularly scheduled blog.

13 Comments:

Blogger Debbie St.Amand said...

Come to South Florida, and I can put you up on my sofa-bed, if you want to take a chance on a total stranger (and admittedly, I'm pretty strange!)

Seriously, put publisher in touch with Mitchell Kaplan at Books and Books in Miami. They have booksignings there ALL the time, with celebrities big and small, local and from out of town. Not like the little folding table outside Waldenbooks in a mall somewhere. They do them right.

StDebb

8:13 AM  
Blogger Debbie St.Amand said...

I'm chatty this morning, never mind that I should be grocery shopping. But I had another thought. It's not terribly close to your release date, but think about the Miami Book Fair, which is a Big Deal street fair with writers and publishers and what-not. And it's in November, which is getting toward pleasant weather for South Florida.

StDebb again (Used to write books. Still have a lot of writer friends, so this stuff strikes a chord with me)

8:18 AM  
Anonymous spleeness said...

If you're thinking about Flagstaff for their artsy/hippie/college community, we'll put you up! I'm moving into my new apt this weekend and will post pix on my blog shortly after we get furniture (blog link).

And when we're back in Bal'more/DC area, you're welcome to stay in our house, we have nice guest quarters. I also know an author in Philly who might be able to hook you up too!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Steven Pierce said...

Oh... Well, if your book tour picks up in a very not-2009 way, it would be great if you had one in London. And you could confirm your gay-icon status here while you were at it!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sob. I don't think I can take the disappointment. Poor depressed Boston. We'll miss you so.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Okay. Fine. Here's the deal. We have plenty of room. You can have a lovely room with private bath that is impossibly ugly because we've only been here two years and haven't the nerve to tear out the acres of pink marble in there. But, you can close your eyes and shower.

St. Louis is a great place for you!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LA here... Can't wait to meet you @ Vroman's!!! Can't wait to read the book. See you soon!!!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Well, if you're going to Baltimore, you may as well come to Philadelphia...or at least West Chester PA! Chester County Book Company....check it out!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous josita said...

Travel home from Baltimore by Amtrak. The Underwire Whistlestop Tour! Just be sure you stop in Milwaukee or Chicago.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, vromans is a great bookstore! This would be a reason for me to wish I still lived in LA! Would still love to see you show at Changing Hands, Tempe AZ!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Valerie said...

A few of your fans from inside the industry were just speaking highly of you... they love your book -- and are spreading the word... I'm looking forward to reading it...

9:06 PM  
Blogger Spenser said...

I'm SO upset. I will miss you at Vroman's as I have to work that day. The library is a harsh mistress.

But Baltimore! Do you know about Charm City Cakes?

Spenser

8:49 AM  
Anonymous La BellaDonna said...

Back up there! If you're going to Baltimore, of COURSE you should make a stop in Philadelphia! And that's Philadelphia proper - at least until the public transit improves. (Sorry, West Chester!) Come to Philadelphia! I bought your book there!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home