Thursday, January 17, 2008

Far more important than my usual blathering.

One of the side-effects of an increasingly fragile economy is that high-priced hobbies tend to go by the wayside. One of the more expensive pursuits is owning a horse. Just this Sunday, there was an article in the Los Angeles Times about how horses in Kentucky are being let loose, or allowed to starve to death, because the owners can no longer afford them. Some end up at feedlots, facing nearly certain death.

A rescue group in Northern California has taken on the Herculean task of trying to rescue as many as they can:

http://www.feedlothorses.com/current_rescue.htm

They've got 13 they are going to try to save tomorrow, Friday. I know it's January, I know the Christmas bills are just coming in; I don't know a single person who feels better about their economic condition than they did a year ago this time. But please help, if you can.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany: I mentioned this to Quinn and she selflessly put it on her blog. So, through Quinn, I thank you.
It means so much to me that you, and anyone else, would take action.
Wonderful!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Thanks for the link. I've forwarded the information to several of my friends.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

I just blathered on about my "horse days" and "horse people" then stumbled on this post within minutes. Serendipity. Thank you.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Robin Raven said...

Another reason I admire you!

Thanks for bringing that issue to my attention. As a vegetarian animal rights advocate, I am ashamed to say that I wasn't aware of this particular problem. What a travesty.

God bless the rescue, and I am going to look into trying to do what I can to help.

Thanks, Quinn! I miss when I first discovered your blog and had so much of your writing to read at one sitting. Now I'm awaiting the book. (-:

3:25 AM  
Blogger Horse Plus said...

Thank you so much for mentioning our rescue efforts in your blog! Last year (07) our organization, NorCal Equine Rescue, was able to rescue and place 234 horses from all kinds of trouble. The majority were saved from certain slaughter, but we also had quite a few other kinds of rescue effots. For more information, our homepage is: www.SaveTheHorse.com

Thanks again for letting people know the huge need that exists!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home