Thursday, September 01, 2005

QC (Book) Report, Part Three.

Daughter was about six months old. She was sitting on my hip one evening as I attempted to make dinner when Consort walked through the door. Before he crossed the kitchen, he got an impassioned lecture on the subject of my not been able to finish a single article in the morning paper. I loved this child more than I could have ever imagined loving anyone, but I was convinced my brain was turning to goo.

As I was ranting, I knocked over a glass with my chopping arm. Before I knew it, I had dropped the chopping knife and grabbed the glass before it hit the counter -- all without dropping the kid. I stared at the glass in wonder.

"Huh," I thought. "I might be working on three hours of sleep a night, but that is definitely something I couldn't have done before."

For any woman who has ever suspected giving birth created some subtle physiological positives along with the much-publicized negatives, I suggest reading The Mommy Brain: How Motherhood Makes Us Smarter. In clear, readable English, writer Katherine Ellison presents some of the more interesting scientific research on how the female brain, post-birth, becomes a more efficient machine. I found it confirmed many of my inchoate suspicions about my new-found super-powers. I found it incredibly heartening.

Read it and know that being a mother made you stronger and more competent in ways you can't even imagine.

It helps for those moments when you can't remember your sister-in-law's name.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my daughter was about 2 months old one morning as I was trying to get ready she was fussy. All of a sudden, I realized that I was bouncing the baby seat with my foot, putting on my mascara and cleaning the bathroom sink at the same time.

I called my friend, whose daughter is six months older than mine and asked her if before we had children did we REALLY think we knew what "multi-tasking" was? I've discovered that prior to giving birth, I was deluding myself into thinking that I knew the real meaning of that phrase!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anyone else want to write in with something you accomplished post-child you never could have before? I love those.

C'mon, write it while you check math homework and program the TiVo.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check math homework? HA! My mom brain may facilitate multi-tasking, but the quadratic equation is irretrievably buried in the recesses of my mind (and for that, I am grateful - enough odd data floating around on the surface anyway). And the mom brain overflow also doesn't allow retrieval of any of these multi-tasking examples, even though they probably occur weekly. I am, however, the only one in the house who knows how to program the VCR - and my husband was the one who showed me how. Now that's job security.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

So, leaving this comment is making me feel a little dorky, but I have to tell you that your blog is probably one of the best I've read, and definately my most favorite to tune in to. As a result, I've linked to you on my blog page. I'm not sure if there's some kind of blog etiquette that states I have to go through a ritual of permission to do so, but I just wanted to let you know. If you're bothered by this, I'll remove the link. Otherwise, thanks for your constant great cross section of life. It inspired me, and here I am. On a side note, I think Blogger is great for it's simple words-on-page presentation, without all that advertising and exclaiming and flash. Several of my friends blog elsewhere that make me feel like I'm visiting Times Square. This is nice.

Julie

(and speaking of dorky, I had some kind of comment-posting malfunction that led to this being posted three times on your comment section. I deleted twice. Sorry if I look like a nutty stalker. -J)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's nothing but polite of you to alert me to the link, and I appreciate that, along with your kind words. And while I certainly love easy extra income as much as the next person, it would bad karma to get it by inflicting flashing banners at anyone reading what I write.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Chewy Mom said...

LOVE your blog!

Okay, multitasking....I have five kids, and I have been known to drive a car, pass a kleenex, change the radio station, turn up the a/c, and carry on five conversations at once, "Yes, DS10...No DS7 you can't go to...DD3, stop yelling...Ok, I'll put the air on rear control...DS7, can't go to Joe's house...DD13, you HAVE to go to swim team today...DS10, quit bothering...Hey! DD3 STOP BITING!...DS10, your sister...." Complete nonsense to anyone outside my car, but amazingly my kids comprehend it all. And, more amazingly, I've never had a wreck. And people saying talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous...hummph!

CM

P.S. I also added you to my blogroll!

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home