Monday, March 18, 2013

But I at Least Gotta Try

I'm working on a project.

Can't say what.

Might come to nothing.

Might come to something.

But for the moment, I have to move forward in information-gathering mode. I've spoken at a few events now, and for the most part they've been excellent adventures; I'm kicking myself that someone didn't film Laurie Notaro, Jen Lancaster and my panel in Tucson, because that was, with all modestly, a hilarious hour. But I need to do more public speaking.

This is where you come in.

Have a book club? I'll speak to them.

Have a fundraiser for a school? I'll speak to them.

Have a 12-step meeting and lack someone to step up tonight? I can't say I'll be the most compelling story about bottoming out, but I'll be there.

How much will it cost you? If you live within a hundred miles of Los Angeles, nothing. If you live outside of the hundred mile radius, you'll pay to get me there and back but the actual talking? Free. I'll talk about being a math-phobic homeschooler, or a former child actor, a rescuer of animals or a topic to be named later. If getting there requires real travel, I'll restrain myself from talking about my feelings about planes. Right now, I need the experiences, and maybe you can use me.

If this interests you, I'm at quinn@quinncummings.com.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, if you ever find yourself in Napa Valley, I would love for you to speak about creative writing to our newsroom and features staff. Keep my email, OK?

Best,
Jennifer
jhuffman@napanews.com

12:35 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

Guess I am starting a book club just so we can get you to come to Wisconsin. ;) I suppose that means I need to add your books to my list of "To Be Read" books as well. Hope you get lots of offers and post on how those go.

7:14 AM  
Blogger AndyEM said...

Quinn, you might want to consider joining Toastmasters International. You'll not only have ample opportunities for public speaking but your talks will also be critiqued by the other members of the group.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Susie said...

I have had a book club, with the coolest group of women, for over 20 years (which makes me sound 400 years old, but I'm 44). I have been a fan of yours since Goodbye Girl, but Notes from the Underwire cemented your spot on my list of People I'm Friends WIth in My Imagination.

IF ONLY I had money to fly you to NYC. :(

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Lehua said...

Woohoo! Manifest! Tell it! Never seen you in interviews or anything, but your books f-l-o-w so conversationally. DAMN funny stuff!!! There is real healing power in humor. "The Year of Learning Dangerously" helped me laugh my way out of numerous panic attacks during our first year of homeschooling. Mil gracias and aloha!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home