Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quinn finds a new way to marginalize herself.

My quick-and-dirty pleasure read this weekend was Ammon Shea's Reading the OED, wherein we follow his yearlong adventure reading the entire Oxford English Dictionary. Short chapters about reading, followed by words you have never considered before in your life. It's just the most fun little read; a gimmick but an engaging and clever one and I recommend it highly. But, until you get it or decide to read the OED yourself (Keep in mind, the Oxford English Dictionary runs twenty volumes), I have decided to put up a definition a day on my Twitter account. As a friend astutely noted, you can then say that you've read that I've read that someone read the OED.

Because if you don't check out Twitter and you're too busy to read a new book right now, how would you ever know that Peristeronic means "Suggestive of pigeons"?

7 Comments:

Blogger Poppy B. said...

I thought the word for "suggestive of pigeons" was "Poppy Buxom's chest."

Silly me!

And anyway, "peristeronic" is much more esoteric and sesquipedalian and shit.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That book sounds interesting. The problem with me is when I use words like "peristeronic" I am often asked if I made that up.

I wonder if you googled peristeronic would this post come up?

Quinn reads the OED so you don't have to!

Peace - Rene

1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To answer the question about googling. Yes it does! On page 2.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Char said...

I have the definition a day on my bloglines feed and love it.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read "The Know-It-All"? One man's quest to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. Pretty funny, albeit gimmicky.

6:10 PM  
Blogger berit_k said...

brilliant! i was wondering what the vocab enrichment was on your tweets...

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Quinn--

What fun! Can you tell us the address of your twitter?

Thanks. :)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home