Sunday, May 22, 2005

The QC (Book) Report

For my own amusement, I am going to start mentioning books suitable for 4-7 year-olds that might have slipped by even the most eagle-eyed parent.

"Jenny and the Cat Club" is a collected reprint of several smaller books written in the 1950's. Jenny is a small shy cat, living in Greenwich Village, who finds courage and adventure after joining the Cat Club, a motley crew of neighborhood cats.

It's a wonderful book, with short enough chapters for new readers and with some pictures, which makes it suitable for reading to smaller children. I'm always in search of books for Daughter where the lead characters are moral without being treacly, lively without being snotty, kind without being spineless. Jenny hits all these marks and more. It's a lovely book.

http://chinaberry.com/showbook.cfm?invnum=724&userid=92638585

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all time favorite childrens book is Rain Makes Applesauce, by Julian Scheer. It has everything I lok for in a 4-8 book, wonderful illustratyions, some nonsense, and a terrific idea behind it. It is included in every baby shower gift I give.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like this, anyone else have something off the beaten track?

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Frog Belly Rat Bone by Timothy Basil Ering. The illustrations are wonderful and the story charming. It isn't a chapter book, although the recommended age range is 4-7. Thanks for the tip about Jenny and the Cat Club, I'm looking forward to buying it for my kids.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, anyone else?

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is this wonderful list, put together by my friend Hope Kuniholm. Hope's very lovely bilingual 2nd grade daughter plays the cello and a fine game of chess...so at least a few of these books are certainly winners. :-)

http://www.philobiblon.com/hope/read.htm

Hope has graciously given the general age range for each book. I loved the Milly-Molly-Mandy series as a girl, which she recommends.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a FABULOUS list.
I also might add the Betsy-Tacy books.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend anything by Shel Silverstein - for the grown-ups, as well as the kids.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home